Information for WIC Participants
Your WIC benefits provide you and your children with healthy food choices. You will receive regular monthly checks and additonal checks for Farmers' Markets and fruits and vegetables. Whatever check you use must be written for the cost of approved foods only. You cannot cash your check for cash or get change from the check. If you want to purchase items that are not on the approved foods list, you must pay for them separately.
Types of WIC Checks
Regular WIC Checks
WIC checks are accepted by most chain stores and many local neighborhood stores. The staff at your WIC agency can help you find stores in your area that accept WIC checks. You can use coupons and store savings cards when buying WIC foods.
Farmers' Market Checks
Checks can only be used at WIC approved Farmers' Markets. Three checks will be issued to be used from June through October. Participants can use these checks to purchase fresh, unprepared, locally grown fruits, vegetables, and fresh cut cooking herbs from farmers in the program. The $5 checks cannot be split between farmers.
Fruit and Vegetable Checks
Checks are issued monthly throughout the year based on eligibility. You can purchase any fresh fruits or vegetables for eating except white potatoes. Checks can be combined. Paying the difference is allowed. Checks can be used at both Farmers’ Markets and retail stores that accept WIC.
Breastfeed your Baby
Breastfeeding is good for both mothers and babies. (more) WIC supports and promotes breastfeeding among its participants and provides breastfeeding education as part of its parent and child nutrition services.
Where to Get Help
Problems with a Store
Contact your local WIC agency with any problems or complaints.
WIC cannot replace lost or stolen checks. Protect them as you would cash or personal checks.
Moving out of State
If you are on the WIC Program in Rhode Island, you will be able to get WIC when you move. It is best to call your WIC office before you move. They can give you the phone number of a WIC office near your new home and complete the necessary paperwork for you to take to your new WIC site.
Other Problems or Questions
Call your local WIC agency with any questions.
Local WIC Agencies
WIC Agencies with Contacts+
WIC Agencies with Contacts-
- Bristol: Bristol WIC Program, 150 Franklin St. 02809,401-253-7577
- Burrillville: Burrillville WIC Program, 185 Main St. 02859,401-567-0510
- Central Falls: Children's Friend Family Support Center, 621 Dexter St. 02863,401-752-7827
- Coventry: Family Health Services of Coventry, 191 MacArthur Blvd. 02816,401-589-2610
- Cranston: Family Health Services of Cranston, 311 Doric Ave. 02910,401-946-4650
- East Providence: East Bay Community Action, 100 Bullocks Point Ave. 02915,401-437-1007
- Hope Valley: Wood River Health Services, 823 Main St. 02832,401-539-2461
- Johnston: Tri-Town Health Center, 1130 Hartford Ave. 02919,401-519-1932
- Pawtucket: Children's Friend and Service, 500 Prospect St. 02860,401-721-6416
- Providence: Allen Berry Health Center, 202 Prairie Ave. 02905,401-444-0570
- Providence: Capitol Hill Health Center, 40 Candace St. 02908,401-444-0550
- Providence: Chad Brown Health Center, 285A Chad Brown St. 02908,401-831-0020
- Providence: Chad Brown Satellite, International Institute of RI, 645 Elmwood Ave. 02907,401-784-8652
- Providence: Chafee Health Center, One Warren Way 02905,401-444-0530
- Providence: Olneyville Health Center, 100 Curtis St. 02909,401-444-0540
- Providence: St. Joseph Health Center, 21 Peace St. 02907,401-456-4045
- Providence: Women and Infants Hospital, 2 Dudley St. Suite 565 02905,401-274-1122 x2768
- Newport: East Bay Community Action, 19 Broadway, 02840,401-848-6697 x208
- North Kingstown: Thundermist, WIC Satellite
50 East Ct. 02852,401-398-8708
- Tiverton: East Bay Community Action, 1048 Stafford Rd. 02878,401-625-1364
- Wakefield: Thundermist Health Center of South County, One River St. 02879,401-783-0523
- Warwick: Westbay Community Action, 205 Buttonwoods Ave. 02886,401-732-4660
- West Warwick: Westbay Community Action, Washington St. 02893,401-826-3230
- Westerly: Wood River, Westerly WIC Satellite, 56 Spruce St. 02891,401-539-2461
- Woonsocket: Thundermist Health Center, 191 Social St. 9th Floor 02895,401-767-4109
WIC Agencies on Map (Will Not work in IE6)+
WIC Agencies on Map (Will Not work in IE6)-