Public Water System

Delay in printing of licenses

Due to COVID-19, we are experiencing a delay in the printing of licenses. All licensee status and expiration dates can be verified at

Licensing-Related Information

How to Get Licensed


Renewal applications are sent out 60 days before your expiration date. If you have lost your renewal application or did not receive one contact us for a new copy.

The owner of the property on which the water system is located must apply for and hold the water system license. Fill out the application for the appropriate type of public water system.

  • Community Water Systems: serve at least 25 year round resident, or has at least 15 service connections used by year round residents.
  • Transient Non-Community Water Systems: serve at least 25 people for at least 60 days of the year, such as restaurants, campgrounds and hotels.
  • Non-Transient Non-Community Water Systems: serve at least 25 of the same people for at least 6 months of the year, such as schools and factories.

Professional Resources

Monitoring Schedules

Monitoring schedules are available on Drinking Water Watch. If you have any questions regarding specific monitoring requirements, please call the Center for Drinking Water Quality at (401) 222-6867.

Prepare for emergencies

Public water systes in Rhode Island are required to have complete Emergency Response Plans. Learn how to prepare for and navigate drinking water emergencies. more

Electronic data submission

The Department of Health accepts water quality data from environmental laboratories on behalf of public water suppliers. The web-based system provides an alternative to submitting handwritten or paper-based reports. more

Financial assistance

Many public water system capital improvement projects require financing. We, and the Clean Water Finance Agency, administer the Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund to help meet this need.