Medical Examiners, State Center for the Office
To determine both the cause and manner of death.
What we do
Assume jurisdiction over deaths due to or suspected of being due to:
- Infectious disease or suspected infectious diseases that may represent a bio-terrorism event or emerging infection;
- Natural, nuclear, biological, chemical or other mass casualty event;
- Homicidal, suicidal, accidental or undetermined causes.
Work in conjunction with investigating agencies, federal agencies and other ancillary personnel, and the family assistance center to:
- Recover and identify the decedents;
- Screen deaths for public health significance and determine the cause of death;
- Support families;
- Issue death certificates and review death certificates prior to cremation;
- Approve organ/tissue for donation.