Meaningful Use - Immunization Objective
The Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs provide financial incentives for the “meaningful use” of certified EHR technology to improve patient care. To receive an EHR incentive payment, providers have to show that they are “meaningfully using” their EHRs by meeting thresholds for a number of objectives.
Rhode Island Capacity for Accepting Immunization HL7 Messages
February 26, 2017
The Rhode Island Immunization Information System is part of KIDSNET
and accepts immunization messages for individuals under the age of 19 from eligible hospitals (EH
) and from eligible providers (EP
HL7 2.5.1: Test messages are accepted following Registration of Intent and provision of identifiers for testing as of 2/3/2014. Please see Rhode Island’s HL7 2.5.1 Implementation Guide for Immunization Messaging.
HL7 2.3.1: KIDSNET continues to accept HL7 2.3.1 messages from those eligible hospitals and providers that were sending to KIDSNET Production prior to 12/31/2013.
Rhode Island’s Capacity is periodically updated and should be monitored for changes.
What You Should Do
Complete Registration of Intent
Registration of Intent for the Immunization Meaningful Use Stage 2 Objective is required no later than the 60th day from the start of the eligible provider or eligible hospital’s reporting period. To register, each practice location that vaccinates individuals under 19 years of age should complete the Registration of Intent Form and e-mail it to Jeff.Goggin@health.ri.gov
Registration of Intent is Required as of 01/01/2014:
- If the eligible provider or eligible hospital is testing HL7 immunization messages to KIDSNET for the first time.
- If the eligible provider or eligible hospital did not establish ongoing submission of HL7 immunization messages to KIDSNET production prior to 1/01/2014.
- If the eligible provider or eligible hospital currently has ongoing submission of HL7 2.3.1 immunization messages to KIDSNET production but wishes to test and on-board for HL7 2.5.1.
Registration of Intent is Not Required:
- If KIDSNET does not have the capacity to accept immunization messages from the eligible provider or eligible hospital. This may be verified by printing the web page showing Rhode Island capacity at the beginning of the reporting period.
- If the eligible provider or eligible hospital has established on-going submission to KIDSNET production< prior to their Stage 2 reporting period and does not yet wish to test and on-board for HL7 2.5.1.
What We Do
- Provide guidance to practices and hospitals regarding HL7 immunization messaging to KIDSNET.
- Provide Rhode Island HL7 Implementation Guides for Immunization Messaging.
- Provide a confirmation of Registration of Intent to the primary contact listed on the Registration of Intent form.
- Notify the eligible provider (EP)/ eligible hospital (EH) of testing procedures and invite them to begin testing.
- Notify the eligible provider (EP) /eligible hospital (EH) when corrective action is needed during the testing process and record if it is not responded to within 30 days of the request.
- Notify the eligible provider (EP)/ eligible hospital (EH) when all testing criteria have been met and submission of HL7 immunization messages to KIDSNET production may begin.
- Accept on-going HL7 immunization messages to KIDSNET production, and verify those submissions by returning HL7 ACK messages and KIDSNET e-mail notifiers.