Information for Nurses

Rhode Island is part of the Nurse Licensure Compact of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing. The Compact allows Registered and Licensed Practical nurses (RNs and LPNs) to practice in other states that are members of the compact, subject to state laws, with one single license. more

What you should do

To get a Nursing License

  • If you are a Rhode Islander and you have never been licensed in any state or if you are a recent graduate you must apply for Rhode Island licensure. more

To get a Rhode Island License if you are already licensed in another state

  • If your primary state of legal residency is already a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact you already hold a multi-state license and can practice in Rhode Island without having to apply. (Your employer must contact Nursys to verify licensure.)
  • If your primary state of legal residency is not a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact and you wish to practice in Rhode Island then you must apply for a Rhode Island license.

To meet Continuing Education Requirements

All nurses licenses by the Board of Nurse Registration and Nursing Education must meet continuing education requirements, even if they no longer practice.

  • Sign an attestation statement at the time of your license renewal attesting to the completion of your continuing education requirements
  • Complete ten (10) continuing education hours per renewal cycle (every two years). One continuing education unit is equivalent to ten (10) continuing education hours. One continuing education hour is equivalent to one contact hour.
  • Take courses, live or online, that are accepted or approved by a nursing organization, such as Rhode Island State Nurse Association , the American Nurses Credentialing Center, approved nursing schools or any other recognized professional nursing organization.
  • Request a six month extension for meeting the continuing education requirement if you have have suffered a hardship which prevented meeting the educational requirements.
  • Retain documentation of your course completion for four years.