Birth Defects Data
- Purpose: To identify newborns with birth defects, assure that these children receive appropriate medical and social services, and monitor trends.
- Key Information: Birth defects diagnoses, testing and laboratory data, social service referral and consultations, and maternal and infant demographics.
- Collection Period: 2002 to present
Rhode Island Numbers
- The overall prevalence rate for birth defects from 2006 to 2010 in Rhode Island is 468 per 10,000 live births, or about 1 in 21 babies born with a birth defect.
- The total hospital cost for newborns in Rhode Island with a birth defect is $102 million in the period 2008-2011.(Source: Hospital Patient data)
Birth Defects by Body System
Full Screen / Data
Prevalence Rate Nationally Reportable Birth Defects 2006 - 2010