Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS)
Meaningful Use – Immunization Objective
The Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs provide financial incentives for the “meaningful use” of certified EHR technology to improve patient care. To receive an EHR incentive payment, providers have to show that they are “meaningfully using” their EHRs by meeting thresholds for a number of objectives.
Rhode Island Capacity for Accepting Immunization HL7 Messages
December 7, 2022
The Rhode Island Adult and Child Immunization Registry (RICAIR) Immunization Registry accepts Immunization messages for patients of all ages from eligible hospitals (EH) and from eligible providers (EP).
Meaningful Use Stage 3 - Capacity for 01/01/2018 declared June 27, 2017
RICAIR has conformed to the CDC HL7 Version 2.5.1 Implementation Guide: Immunization Messaging, Release 1.5 and Addendum, including supporting Query/Response, acknowledgement messaging, and the receipt of National Drug Codes (NDC) for newly-administered immunizations. s
- Rhode Island alsorecommends the inclusion of CVX codes.
- NDC codes and Query response are newly required for MU Stage 3. These features were not previously available in RICAIR and will require registration to test with the registry.
- Please complete the registration process by submitting the Onboarding Questionnaire in advance to indicate your desire to begin testing. Submit to Interface Development, RIDOH.RICAIROnboarding@health.ri.gov.
HL7 2.5.1: Test messages are accepted following submission of the Onboarding Questionnaire , the provision of identifiers for testing, and the invitation to test. Please contact Interface Development, RIDOH.RICAIROnboarding@health.ri.gov for Rhode Island specifics.
Current Capacity for HL7 2.5.1 - established as of 02/03/2014
RICAIR did not include processing of NDC codes or Query/Response at that time.
Rhode Island’s Capacity is periodically updated and should be monitored for changes.
What You Should Do
Complete the Onboarding Questionnaire
Onboarding Questionnaire for the Immunization Meaningful Use Objective is required if you are onboarding for the first time, or wish to test for MU Stage 3. To register, each practice location that vaccinates individuals under 19 years of age should complete the Onboarding Questionnaire Form and e-mail it to RIDOH.RICAIROnboarding@health.ri.gov.
The Onboarding Questionnaire is Required as of 01/01/2014:
- If the eligible provider or eligible hospital is testing HL7 2.5.1 immunization messages to RICAIR for the first time.
- If the eligible provider or eligible hospital wishes to test HL7 2.5.1 immunization messages for MU Stage 3 readiness.
Onboarding Questionnaire is Not Required:
- If RICAIR does not have the capacity to accept immunization messages from the eligible provider or eligible hospital. This may be verified by printing the web page showing Rhode Island capacity at the beginning of the reporting period.
What We Do
- Provide guidance to practices and hospitals regarding HL7 immunization messaging to RICAIR.
- Provide a link to CDC's
HL7 Version 2.5.1 Implementation Guide: Immunization Messaging.
- Provide a confirmation of the Onboarding Questionnaire to the primary contact listed on the Onboarding Questionnaire form.
- Notify the eligible provider (EP)/ eligible hospital (EH) of testing procedures and invite them to begin testing.
- Notify the eligible provider (EP) /eligible hospital (EH) when corrective action is needed during the testing process and record if it is not responded to within 30 days of the request.
- Notify the eligible provider (EP)/ eligible hospital (EH) when all testing criteria have been met and submission of HL7 immunization messages to RICAIR production may begin.
- Accept on-going HL7 immunization messages to RICAIR production, and verify those submissions by returning HL7 ACK messages and RICAIR e-mail notifiers.