How to Get Licensed
Renewal notices are sent out 60 days before your expiration date. Renew Online
Establishment and Initial Licensure of a Harm Reduction Center (e.g., on-site premises, mobile unit, and short-term unit) requires prior review and approval by the Rhode Island Department of Health. The Harm Reduction Center program is a two-year pilot and all licenses will sunset on March 1, 2024.
Organizations interested in opening any harm reduction center in Rhode Island must:
- Review Rhode Island Harm Reduction Centers regulations.
- Submit an Initial Licensure Application to the Rhode Island Department of Health: 3 Capitol Hill, Room 306, Providence, RI 02908-5097.
- Submit proof of municipal approval from a city/town council, or equivalent governing bodies where the center is to be located.
- Receive a site inspection by a RIDOH representative and obtain an approval of compliance. Site inspections ensure all services and practices comply with Rhode Island’s Harm Reduction Center regulations.
- Obtain and submit an acceptable Life Safety Code/Fire Safety inspection report from the Rhode Island Office of the State Fire Marshal or a designee.
If you have any questions concerning this application, call the Center for Health Facilities Regulation 401-222-2566.