Information for People Traveling Abroad

About Apostilles and Using Records Abroad

If you will be using a certified copy of a vital record in a foreign country (e.g. for adopting a child, applying for dual citizenship, or transferring property), you may need an apostille, which legalizes a document for international use. Contact the Secretary of State, Notary Division, at 401-222-1487 to ask if you need an apostille or certification attached to your certified copy. more