Women's Cancer Screening Program Eligibility Guidelines
Rhode Island residents who meet age, income, and health insurance requirements are eligible for free cancer screening services through the Women's Cancer Screening Program. The Program can provide:
- Cervical cancer screening (Pap test alone every 3 years, or Pap and HPV test together every 5 years).
- Breast cancer screening (mammogram and clinical breast exam every year).
- Diagnostic services, if an abnormality is found in a screening test.
If treatment is required for a precancerous condition of the breast/cervix or a diagnosis of breast or cervical cancer, women may be eligible to apply for Medical Assistance through the WCSP to cover the cost of treatment.
- Age 40 - 64: Eligible for all program services.
- Younger than Age 40: Not eligible for program services. Exceptions:
- Women (any age under 40) who have an abnormal finding on a clinical breast exam or who present to a healthcare provider with symptoms suspicious for breast cancer are eligible for breast services through the program.
- The WCSP can cover the cost for a LEEP procedure or a cone biopsy for a woman at any age who is not eligible for Medical Assistance through the Women's Cancer Screening Program. (The woman must meet WCSP income and insurance criteria.)
- Age 65+: Not eligible for program services. Exception: Women without Medicare Part B and undocumented women are eligible for all program services.
Other Eligibility Criteria
- Health Insurance Status: Women must be uninsured or underinsured (health insurance does not provide annual screening for breast or cervical cancer).
- Residency: Women must be Rhode Island residents. (Note: Women living in neighboring states may be eligible for services through the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program.)
- Income: Income must be within 250% of the poverty line. The Department of Health does not require proof of income or financial status; however, if a patient is referred for services not covered by the Women's Cancer Screening Program, the facility providing these non-covered services may require proof of income.
2014 Family Size & Income Eligibility Levels
|Size of Family