Disability and Health Program
The Disability & Health Program promotes the health and wellness of people with disabilities through inclusive self-management evidence based programs; provides professional development for practitioners working with people with disabilities, including training, targeted technical assistance, and access to assistive technology; addresses special needs of people with disabilities in health promotion programs, health strategic planning, emergency preparedness, preventative health screening programs, and healthcare facility access; and increases access to quality of health-related data of people with disabilities in RI and utilize epidemiology and evaluation analysis to monitor the health disparities.
2012 Accomplishments and Milestones
- Secured Centers for Disease Control funding for three years.
- Development of a Disability Community Planning Group
What We Do
- Promote health and wellness for people with disabilities.
- Conduct disability surveillance.
- Monitor effective transition of healthcare from adolescence to adulthood.
- Support community programs that prevent secondary conditions resulting from disabilities and chronic health issues.
- Provide professional development for practitioners working with people with disabilities.
- Provide practitioners with greater access to assistive technology.