Board of Medical Licensure & Discipline
To protect the public through enforcement of standards for medical licensure and ongoing clinical competence.
What We Do
- Review and approve physician license applications.
- Receive and investigate complaints of unprofessional conduct against physicians.
- Discipline and develop remedial programs for specific physicians, when necessary.
- Provide public information on physician licenses in Rhode Island. (more)
- Serve as a resource to government concerning the foreign-trained physician visa waiver program.
- Assure the achievement of continuing medical education standards.
- Work with the Physician's Health Committee to provide treatment and rehabilitation for impaired physicians.
- Educate the healthcare community and the public on our role and on medical professionalism.
Join the Board
Board members are required to be available for meetings from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM the second Wednesday of each month and may be required to serve on Investigating or Licensing Committees which meet an additional morning per month. Preferences will be given to applicants with diverse backgrounds. Board members are required to use: laptop computers, password-protected thumb drives, Internet, email.
See Board Openings
Recently Submitted Meeting Minutes