Health Professional Loan Repayment
Open Application Period January 6, 2014 through March 7, 2014
To retain health professionals who work for healthcare sites in underserved communities. (more)
The program is designed to reward healthcare professionals who are meeting primary medical needs of underserved communities. These professions include:
- Physicians+ Physicians-
Physicians with Allopathic or Osteopathic degrees may apply if they working in the following fields:
- Family medicine or osteopathic general practice
- Internal medicine including geriatrics
- Nurses and Physicians Assistants+ Nurses and Physicians Assistants-
Primary Care Certified Nurse Practitioners, Certified Nurse-Midwives, Registered Nurses and Physicians Assistants may apply if they are working in the following fields:
- Adult, family medicine
- Psychiatry/mental health
- Women’s health
- Dental Professionals+ Dental Professionals-
General Practice Dentists, Pediatric Dentists and Dental Hygenists may qualify.
- Mental Health Professionals+ Mental Health Profesionals-
Health Service Psychologists, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Psychiatric Nurse Specialists, Mental Health Counselors, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Marriage and Family Therapists may apply.
To be eligible to apply for loan repayment assistance, healthcare professionals must work in a Health Professional Shortage Area site. (Rhode Island mapping)
People wishing to apply for repayment funds must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Have a valid contract for two-year commitment to provide full-time services at an eligible site;
- Present evidence of the outstanding loan obligation;
- Be licensed, or in the process of applying for a license, in an approved profession;
- Agree to comply with all contract provisions and regulations promulgated by the Health Professions Loan Repayment Board;
Individuals are not eligible:
- If they have an outstanding loan obligation for health professional service to the Federal, State, or local government, or other entity.
- If a breach of obligation has occurred for health professional service to the Federal Government, a State Government or other entity.
General Practitioners (physicians who have not completed residency training programs) are not eligible.
All National Health Service Corps-approved sites and Federally Qualified Health Centers are also State Loan Repayment Program-approved sites. If your site is not already federally approved, you must meet these eligibility criteria:
- Be located in an area designated as a Health Professional Shortage Area (find)
- Accept the payments established by the Social Security Administration (more)
- Not discriminate on the basis of the ability of an individual to pay for care, or on the basis that payment will be made through Medicare or Medicaid
- Be a non-profit organization or agency
County and local prisons are not eligible sites for this program.
- Applications accepted January 6, 2014 to March 7, 2014
- Notifications about awards will be made after the closing of the application period.
- A total of $250,000 has been allocated to the State of Rhode Island for 8 - 10 awards.
Recipient Post-Award Requirements
After a healthcare professional has been awarded a loan repayment contract, he/she must comply with the following conditions:
- Charge for professional services at the usual and customary rates prevailing in the areas in which he/she serves. If a person is unable to pay those rates, that person will be charged at a reduced rate or not charged any fee.
- Serve in the clinical practice of your profession full time (40 hours per week), with no more than 20% of the time devoted to administrative work.
- Not discriminate on the basis of the ability of an individual to pay for care, or on the basis that payment will be made through Medicare or Medicaid.
- Follow the signed contract with the Rhode Island Department of Health.