School Cafeteria Inspections
The Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004 created new food safety standards for schools participating in the National School Lunch or School Breakfast Program.
What Schools must do
- Develop, maintain, and follow a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan to control potential food hazards;
- Have at least 2 annual food safety inspections;
- Post the inspection results on-site;
- Provide copies of report on request (search for copy)
- Hire only Approved School Food Safety Auditors to perform the required inspections
What we are doing
The Office of Food Protection assists schools in meeting the federal requirements. We have established criteria for third-party cafeteria inspection firms to conduct inspections, approve vendors who meet those criteria, and are committed to continuously monitoring the work of third-party auditors to ensure that high quality audits are conducted in compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations. We also provide an online tool to view inspection reports.
Approved School Food Safety Auditors as of September 2010
- Caster Consulting
401- 737-1788 contact
847-480-9898 ext. 148 contact
- F.I.R.S.T. Inspections
- Food Safety Training and Consulting Inc.
- Kids First
- Rainbow Food Safety Consulting