Diabetes happens when the body is unable to use insulin (a hormone that helps the body break down sugar in food so it can be used as energy) properly. When this happens, glucose accumulates in the blood and over time can cause serious health problems like eye damage and nerve damage in your feet.
What you should do if you have diabetes
People who develop Type 2 diabetes often have prediabetes first. This is a stage when blood sugar levels are higher than normal but not yet high enough to indicate diabetes. It is still possible to prevent diabetes from developing once you have prediabetes!
What you should do to prevent diabetes
- Enroll in the free Diabetes Prevention Program or other programs; more
- Increase your level of physical activity; more
- Follow a low-fat meal plan and maintain a healthy weight; more
- If you smoke or use tobacco quit; more
- Know your risk score by taking a Risk Assessment quiz.
What we do to help
Provide free classes on how to manage your chronic diseasemore
Help with some chronic disease care for women aged 30-64 with gaps in their insurance through the The WiseWoman program.